Hi, all,
I wanted to be sure that we were all on the same page regarding the assignment. So, I’ve put the details in question-and-answer form, here, and invite you to email me if there’s anything unclear. (Of course, you are invited to email for any other reason, as well.)
Q: What is the assignment?
A: To watch “Manufacturing Consent”?
Q: What is “Manufacturing Consent”?
A: It’s a movie. Check out the IMDB entry here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104810/
Q: Where can I find the movie itself?
A: Oh, there are probably hundreds of places from which you can download it – or on which you can view it. I just Googled “Manufacturing Consent video,” and got about 747,000 results. But, hey, I’ll even spare you the trouble of repeating that step, and, instead, will point you directly to the results I was shown:http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=manufacturing+consent+video&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=bcdf8cbbf06dc4f
Q. Professor, I’m trying to decide whether to walk to class or take the train. Will it be dark by the time class ends on Tuesday?
A. Well, I’ve checked www.sunrisesunset.com for you, and, according to the people there, sunset on Tuesday will be about 7:32 pm. On the other hand, keep in mind that Manhattan’s buildings can block a lot of the sun toward the end of the day. Anything else?
Q: Professor, the weather has been really crazy lately. Will I be too warm if I wear a sweater to class on Tuesday?
A: Hmm. That’s a bit of a judgment call. According to weather.com, Tuesday will be “partly cloudy,” with an expected high of 63 and a low of 47, so I’d think – ”
Q: Excuse me, professor. I don’t mean to interrupt, but I have no idea how to understand temperature in Fahrenheit. Can you calculate Tuesday’s high and low in Celsius for me?
A: Sure. The formula is fairly straightforward: if “Tf” is the temperature in Fahrenheit, and “Tc” is the temperature in Celsius, the calculation goes like this: (Tc * 9/5) + 32 = Tf). So, if we – ”
Q: Excuse me again, professor, but that’s the calculation FROM Celsius TO Fahrenheit, and I want to know the reverse; you gave us the high and low in Fahrenheit, and I want to know what it will be in Celsius.”
A. Right. Well, the formula works in both directions, of course, but let me make it easier by changing the way I present it. (Tf – 32)*5/9 = Tc. Is that better?
Q: Yes. Thank you.
A: No problem at all. So, anyway, calculating for a high of 63 Fahrenheit and a low of 47 Fahrenheit yields us a high of about 17 Celsius, and a low of about 8 or 9 Celsius. OK?
Q: Well, yeah. But does that mean I should wear a sweater, or not?
A. I’d suggest that you dress in layers.
Feel free to write me to ask anything else!
Prof. Joshua S. Margulies
*insert sarcasm here there and every gotdamn where*
No comments:
Post a Comment