Now I hope you took the time to watch just a bit of that...
I am not going to get into the details as it is quite obvious from even 2 minutes of this what this is about...
And I was once one of those girls...I will go ahead and be politically incorrect and say i was the nappy headed one...embarrassed of my naps and glad the day I got a perm
I would try to tell anyone who listened that i was half coolie (coolie means indian or of indian descent in Jamaica) and that why my hair wasn't as nappy and longer than most kids.
Now thank God I grew up and had some sense and quite honestly while I'm not going natural....(yet)... and have a perm i've come to the realization that "good hair" does not equate length and straightness, but how you take care of it...cuz lord knows I seen some white people with bad hair...stringy and way too bleached and pressed and flatironed till their ends screaming for help!!!!...and I would take some nappy hair over that any day!!!...
Now my biggest issue with this video (some may say unfortunately) is why the hell Tyra felt the need outa all the shows she ever had to braid her hair back, like she don't wear a wig/ weave damn near everyday of her life. As if for this day she is exempt from being a part of this mind set. How can she condemn the mothers when she wear all kinds of Indian Asian Pacifica weaves?
I mean come on Tyra!!!!....You and others like you in main stream media are who these parents and children look up to and see with the long flowing fake hair and think it's beautiful and you are partially to blame when they come up with this jaded mindset...now i didn't see the whole show and I am not sure if she discussed this aspect of it...
But!!!....The braids were not a good look just because, its not YOU...this is not what you do on a regular basis, it would have been nice if she wore the fake hair and explained to the children truthfully why she wears fake hair and why the mindset is wrong..Therefore if she did not discuss why she wears weaves or where this whole "good hair", "bad hair" thing comes from, then her whole attempt to "school" the children (and parents) was an epic FAIL, because she wasn't being "herself"!!! ( the braids could be mistaken for realness people don't be fooled) but I'm sorry you get a NO NO NO for this one Tyra... I love you but try again
Damn, i feel so bad for those little girls. At the age of 3 she was already hearing shit that was putting her self esteem down smh ..
ReplyDeleteThis made me think of another culture, the dominican culture. I remember when I first met my boyfriend's sisters he told me one of them asked him why I didn't ever straighten out my hair... that was a little weird bcs it some what felt like it was a bad thing to have my curls all the time ... bcs as you prob remember, my hair is ALWAYS big and curly. the truth is, as was revealed by my babe, dominican grls are trained since little to get their hair permed or relaxed or whatever it is alll the time... i simply wasn't raised that way... i can't stand getting my hair straightened out. Prob out of 365 days of the year you'll possibly find me 10 days with it straight and that's only if i'm feeling like spending money and wasting my time in a salon...
& hey, readers...
By no means am I generalizing on dominicans or their culture, I love your culture :) so whoever reads this reply, this is just from a personal experience.