Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Experiencing Reality

I don't remmeber exactly what date and time I saw the 1st white person, but I was about 7 or 8 they were these missionaries who came to visit our church in Jamaica...Before then I had only seen white people on TV...I was one of the fortunate ones...I had cable..at least we kinda stole it..but we had it..

I had sense enough to know they existed and I remember always wanting to meet one...Ill never forget the sheer joy I felt after I met those white people... It was a man and two women...I thought they were so "cool"...almost like a surreal experience... we as kids, we wanted to touch their hair and ask them to talk...I remember them being from like Iowa or something so their accents were soo different...and any time they spoke I giggled...( they giggled when we spoke too)

I also remember watching shows on TV where people had dogs in their homes...That was so weird to me because I had never met anyone who kept a dog inside their house they were either guard dogs or stray dogs...And i used to wonder why would they even touch dogs, much less have them lick their faces...(this memory distinctly goes along with a scene from the movie Sandlot)...This sounds really cruel but as a kid me and my friends stoned dogs and chased them...dogs didnt have any other names but dog... and the first time i saw a dog in a home it was just WEIRD!!!...

I also remember my first experience with snow, a chimney, a fireplace, a playground, weather colder 60 degrees...none of those things existed in my reality as a kid...I remember my first taste of grapes, strawberries, even an apple...those were all things i tasted way way way into my childhood like 10 or 11.

I'm only discussing this after a hefty discussion about experiencing realities stemming from Plato's Allegory of the Cave in my myths and images class... Like when did you realize the realities of something that only existed in a book or a story or a television show. Or even when did you realize that something you thought was real wasn't....For like 8 years of my life i thought light skinned people were white... you couldnt convince me they were black...lol..i was silly...(well in that sense at least)...

No comments:

Post a Comment